Treating ticks in dogs
- Go through your dog’s coat carefully and thoroughly after each walk.
- Remover any ticks straight away.
- Use a specific tick removal tool to get rid of any ticks.
- In terms of prevention, the most effective preventative treatments for ticks are fipronil (such as FRONTLINE® Spot On), although there are others too.
- A spot-on is undoubtedly the most effective formulation for flea and tick products, though Frontline also comes in a spray formulation which kills ticks. Insecticidal shampoos tend to be ineffective so if you wish to use an alternative to a spot-on discuss it with your vet.
- Remember to treat for ticks all year round too, as with changes to our climate, ticks are now a year round problem.