10 dog superstitions
Dogs may have an air of mystery about them, but not all mysteries about them are true! Here's our top 10 dog superstitions...
1. A howling dog brings death – it was thought that a dog howling outside someone's home would swiftly bring death upon them, supposedly because the Wind God has summoned death.
2. Being followed by a stray dog brings bad luck – or good luck! This one varies depending upon the source!
3. Dogs can see ghosts – if a dog stares intently at nothing and growls then it's thought they can see a ghost
4. Some sailors in old times would refuse to bring a dog about their ship because it was considered unlucky
5. Stepping in dog poo – some people in France believe that to step in dog poo with your left foot is lucky, whereas stepping in dog poo with your right will bring misfortune
6. It is said by some that meeting a dog on the way to a business meeting, especially a spotted dog, means the meeting will be a success
7. Seeing three white dogs together means you'll be lucky.
8. A dog eating grass foretells rain.
9. In the USA, a dog sleeping with its tail straight out and paws upturned is supposed to foretell the arrival of bad news: the direction the tail is pointing in indicates the direction the bad news will come from.
10. In medieval times it was believed that if a dog howled when a baby was born, it would have an unhappy life.