Dog Breed profiles
Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Profile
Staffordshire Bull Terrier fact file
KC Group: Terrier
Height: 36 - 41cm
Weight: Dogs around 13 - 17kg; bitches around 11 - 15.4kg
Average lifespan: 14 years
Temperament: Affectionate, intelligent, extrovert dogs with a great sense of humour
Good with children?: Yes recommended
Exercise requirement: Moderate
Good guard dogs?: Possibly
Moulting level: Low
Colours: Red, fawn, white, black, blue, or brindle, or any of these with white
Jogging partner: Short runs
- Cataracts and other eye conditions.
- Loyal and loving.
- Easy-going but must be shown respect.
- Great sense of humour.
- An easy dog who makes an ideal pet for most owners; however, Staffords are strong and need a firm hand.
- Adores human company and attention.
- Great with children.
- Minimal exercise needed.
- Loves a good walk, but a good play and plenty of attention is just as important.
- Easy to train as Staffords are very eager to please.
- Training must start from early puppyhood.
- Minimal grooming needs.
- Check your Stafford’s nails on a regular basis.
- Give his coat a good rub down with a chamois leather twice a week for a super shiny coat.
- Good temperament.
- Minimal grooming.
- Highly trainable.
- Relatively healthy and long-lived.
- His fighting ancestry and strength demands great management from his owner.